Monday, October 05, 2009

School

I know I haven't posted anything in forever. I would post more, but China just so happens to have blocked Blogger and so far only my mom and dad have proxies on their computers. I could steal their computers more often, but I always forget, and I like my laptop's keyboard better, anyway.

So, SCHOOL

School is good. I have the greatest homeroom ever. It's awesome. We have plans to make a homeroom band. (I am the lead violinist.) This year we're doing a lot more competitions between homerooms, and I like that.

We went to a two-night school camp last week. It was fun, especially compared to last year. It's not that last year was particularly bad or anything, but it could have been better. Basically they divided us up into groups and we cycled through activities like archery and horseback riding, which maybe I would have thought was fun if I hadn't done them before and under better circumstances. The archery equipment wasn't too great of quality (most of the arrows were losing their fletching) and we only got to ride the horses for one short lap. We weren't even allowed to trot; we had to walk. I can understand not cantering or galloping, but not even being allowed to trot was a bit frustrating. I did manage to convince the workers that I could ride a horse and didn't need them to walk next to me, at least.

The food wasn't that great, either. Oh, well.

Anyway, this year we did competitions like boat races, games, raft-building, group talent show, and fashion show. My homeroom got first or second place in everything except for the talent show, where we got third, so we won overall. My boat got the best time in the boat races when we had six people, one less than everyone else, although when the scores for all the boats were averaged out we got second. My group built absolutely the worst raft, but we managed to float the entire ten minutes and win the competition through careful balancing. What I'm most proud of, though, is the fashion show. Our theme was Latin America, which was perfect because we have a Costa Rican in our class, so she immediately knew what to do. Then we had to make two outfits - one male and one female - out of blue and white poster board, and hold a fashion show. Our girl's dress was the best. Multiple people commented that they couldn't believe it was made out of paper and not cloth. (If I had a picture of it I'd show you, but I don't. Maybe I can get it from one of my classmates.) We didn't win, but I think that's because our homeroom was first so the other models had more time to discuss how present themselves and learn from the models who went ahead of them.

And the food was pretty good.

The only problem was that we were in tents, which wouldn't have been too big a deal except that the mattress pads weren't too great and the ground was a bit uneven, and it rained all night the second night and the low-quality tents leaked.

Since my dad is a ninth-grade homeroom teacher (although not my homeroom teacher) he was at the same camp. Some troublemakers tied his tent shut one night, but since he always has his pocketknife with him he easily cut the string. We don't know who did it, although it doesn't really matter. One of my classmates says he's pretty sure ho knows who did it, but he won't tell me who.

I'm planning on posting more from now on, so expect another post within the next few days, maybe tomorrow.

3 comments:

ferskner said...

But what was the food?

Emma said...

I don't really know how to explain the food last year. They were all semi-Chinese or pseudo-Western dishes. Most of them just weren't cooked right, besides the rice, but it's nearly impossible to screw up rice.

This year there was still a bit of pseudo-Western food, but it was at least cooked well. There was chicken dishes, potatoes, and things like that. For breakfast there was cereal, fruit, toast with jam, and these tasty Chinese things called youtiao which are just like fry bread but stick-shaped.

SparkChaos said...

Wow sounds like you had lots of fun! I love going camping and it sure helps people bond a lot easier. xD Living with people and performing all these activities! :D I wish I can go to a camp with my close friends - that would be fun! :D