Monday, March 09, 2009

Computers, Food, and Art, What Else?

We got our computers for school finally. I'm a little bit frustrated with them because they're Macbooks, which are great for some things, but they still have their own frustrations. I like Windows for having a task bar on the bottom of the screen , where I can see all of the applications that I have running, and actually having a RIGHT-CLICK BUTTON!!! On the Macbooks, you have to either put two fingers on the trackpad and then click the button, which often accidentally turns into a left-click anyway, or press control and click. When I used Macbooks in the computer lab at my old school, (and, by the way, what's the point of having a computer lab if there's laptops in it?), I never noticed, but that was before I really started using right-click. Augh...

Anyways, I'm going through a SERIOUS Mexican food craving right now. They have Mexican restaurants here, but they aren't nearly good enough. However, as my dad has said already, there are some really good Muslim restaurants around here with Western-Chinese Muslim food, which we have discovered is really good. It's nice and spicy, which satisfies some of my Mexican-food cravings, and there is this really good flat bread called "nang," and one of the restaurants we go to serves this "pizza," which is nang bread with this tasty ground-lamb-with-spices stuff on top. We sometimes call it "taco pizza" because it tastes almost exactly like a good beef taco.

I've decided to take up drawing again. I've tried drawing two or three times before, but then I get impatient and stop. Now, though, one of my friends (an artist) convinced me to start drawing again. I don't mean realistic drawing, I definitely don't have enough patience for that, I'm more doing manga- and anime-based artwork. Before you start imagining little girls with green hair, gigantic shiny eyes, and pointy chins, you need to know that there are many different kinds of manga styles, and some are better than others. I don't like the little green-hair-big-eye-pointy-chin girl, either. I've also joined a website called deviantART, which is kind of like a Facebook for artists, so if you want to see my art, I suggest you email me and ask for the web address to my profile, because I don't really want everyone I don't know who comes across this blog to find my dA page, at least not yet.

I've also been doing some painting, charcoal drawing, and things like that. I think it's a lot of fun! I think that my two favorite media have to be charcoal and thick acrylic paint. Thick paint is so much fun, because you can put in lots of texture and it's really easy to fix mistakes. I've also started designing a character of my own, so if I ever happen to get a story written about her, I'll put parts of it here, too.

4 comments:

ferskner said...

I like working with acrylics too. They're really satisfying!

Emma said...

Yes they are! This school has a good art department, and they have a lot of canvases, so if I want I can paint on canvas! (which I might do sometime)
But the music department is a bit... lacking. That's not a big deal to me, though, because I don't really like school music class anyway.

As far as I know, from asking people who have already done art (because you switch between music, art, and drama so you have a third of the year with each) and they say that people are pretty good in art class, like they don't fool around too much. Last year in my art class, there were a lot of kids who took art because they figured that they wouldn't have to do much in there, so they threw clay at the wall and painted each other's faces, causing everyone to have to sit and do worksheets and those of us who were actually in there to make art to get angry.

ferskner said...

I know what you mean. When I took art in high school, it somehow became the catch-all class for delinquents so most of the time we had security guards in class to make sure no one killed anyone. It very nicely killed my love of art and it was years before I took it up again to any degree.

Emma said...

Yeah, that's not good. Allyne has stories about working on something, turning away for three seconds to get a tool, and turning back to find that the immature senior boys had stabbed her clay with a skewer.